Saturday, February 6, 2010

Just Do It


Thursday night I attended a reception at UCB for Gloria Bowles, the founder of Cal's Women's Studies Department. Hearing a bit of the story behind the evolution of the program reminded me of how much I take for granted in my own life. Not to diminish our ongoing struggles but the progress made thus far is remarkable.

Ms. Bowles read from her new memoir and I was moved by her description of trying to maintain a lucid train of thought amid daily matters of home and heart. I battle this as well--the need to justify time given over to introspection as "important." Even time spent on art has to be borrowed (or stolen) from one's real work or daily chores. I appreciate anew the need for self expression and the importance of following through with intellectual and artistic urges.

Off to do something about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment